Friday, March 1, 2013

Quilt show adventure

hi everyone----yesterday I ventured off to New Jersey for the quiltfest in somerset.  Lots of inspiration,and a fun trip---okay so here's the low-down:  Some masterful works and really special talent in the exhibit hall.  I particularly fell in love with an Asian beauty---fabulous creative design, beautiful workmanship.  It was also nice to see some modern work displayed as well.  A beautiful exhibit from the Hoffman challenge of handmade dolls.  Great to see some embellished and amazing art quilts as well.  Vendor mall could make one take a second mortgage!!!   The temptation to purchase treasures calls to you in every direction!!!  Okay, so what did I cave into: First, just so you know, I absolutely melt fot antique/vintage textiles and trims.  With that said, several vendors were selling just that!  I purchased beautiful old trims for pillows dolls and who knows where else they will be lucky enough to land on.  The vendor explained these trims were salvaged from old ,beyond repair quilts and other textile items.  I LOVE it when something so beautiful is salvaged,and will have an opportunity for "new life".    Continuing on---yep, you guessed more purchases included an old lace doily , an old linen/embroidered dresser set ----oh so sweet with bubble gum pink beautifully embroidered stitches!  Something that could not be passed up was a beautiful ,finely stitched quilt block from around 1870.  How special is that!  Old wooden thread spools from fabric/sewing mills that are no longer in business, and reproduction charming 1930's fabric rounded out my days shopping!!!   Lucky I had to leave to make my bus to travel back home, otherwise I would have really gone broke!  Actually a few hours more would have been nice to explore the exhibits and maybe attend more demo's /lectures----ya know ---renee never gets enough!!!    Soon I will be preparing for my annual Vermont festival trip----can't wait
hope all had a happy day,
As always,
Let out your inner creative being, be happy, and keep stitchin'
Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment